Booking during the COVID-19 epidemic
New Bookings during the COVID crisis
[Last updated 14th September 2020]
The Hyning Estate is Open
Government rules continue to evolve but at the time of writing they state that people should not go on holiday in England with people outside their household (including bubble) in a group larger than six people and should then socially distance between households (the "Rule of Six") although people in the same support bubble can gather together indoors even if the group size is more than six. Households from an area with local restrictions may not mix with other households. When booking you will be asked to confirm that your group complies with the then current Government Guidance. Be aware also that Master Cancel may not cover bookings that fail to adhere to the Government rules that were in place at the time of booking.
Regarding our larger "Linked Properties", Social Distancing measures could come and go for some time to come but in the event of a tightening of the rules we can help by closing the adjoining doors to enable larger groups to stay as discrete (nuclear) households and meet up outside if permitted. Those wishing to stay with friends or relatives should therefore consider how they would stay within the rules were we to have to close the adjoining doors (as if they had booked multiple smaller properties). Currently those wishing to book Beckside Barns, Hyning House or Hyning Howe will find that online booking has been disabled and they should instead contact us.
MasterCancel Insurance, Terms & Conditions and Prices
We are pleased also to announce that from 1st August "MasterCancel" flexible cancellation insurance (which covers us in the event of a cancellation by you within the period from 60 days to 2 days prior to the booked arrival) is now included in all new bookings and that we also extend the same flexible terms beyond these 60 days.
MasterCancel applies only to new bookings made on or after 1st August and not to bookings that have been moved from an earlier date or which were the result of a previous cancellation (or where a voucher was used from a previous cancellation). For more detail please refer to our revised Terms and Conditions.
Accommodation prices are now dynamic reflecting both the demand / popularity and the prices of competitive accommodation in this area. The price per night therefore also varies so for example 3 nights mid-week will generally be cheaper than 3 nights at the weekend.
Temporary VAT rate changes
To help the hospitality sector recover from 4 months of closure and to help towards the extra costs of providing "COVID-Safe" accommodation the Government has reduced the rate of VAT payable for 6 months for hospitality businesses. To avoid prices changing when the VAT rate changes again in January, VAT is included in the quoted prices at the rate applicable on the" Date of Supply", the date on which we account for VAT to HMRC so if you book your holiday now for next year the price you see will be the price you pay and you will not be asked to pay any extra after the VAT rate increases in January 2021.
Our commitment to your safety
Our focus is on the safety of staff & guests and our key safety principles are as follows:
- We are maintaining a minimum of 30 hour breaks between bookings, a safe period for fabrics combined with our 4 stage cleaning and sanitisation processes for other surfaces. Some hard to clean items will still be swapped and stored for 72+ hours between bookings
- In support of changing guidance on "Social Distancing" we would ask that before booking a "linked property" you should consider how your group could potentially be redistributed to become discrete (nuclear) households (staying alongside relatives or friends) in the constituent properties.
- We have a robust approach to cleaning, personal hygiene and social distancing with revised procedures for arrivals & departures. You can read more about this below.
We're "Good to Go"
We have followed (and exceed) government and industry COVID-19 guidelines that ensure processes are in place to maintain cleanliness and aid social/physical distancing.
Keeping you Safe
Nothing can ever be guaranteed and the best way of keeping each other safe is to assume that the virus is all around (and to act accordingly) although we haven’t knowingly come in contact with it yet.
Guests will have very real concerns and questions when booking or just ahead of arrival and we would like to reassure you that we are doing everything that we can:
- What we’ve always done:
- All bathroom surfaces are spotlessly clean (using anti-bacterial cleaning products).
- Ditto Kitchens and dining tables (but with food-safe anti-bacterial cleaning products).
- We wipe down surfaces using disposable paper towels when cleaning rather than cloths.
- All hard floors are steam cleaned. The steam cleaning pads are always changed between properties and between bathrooms and kitchens within the same property.
- If the previous guests have hand-washed plates or utensils then we re-wash them in a dishwasher.
- Extra precautions during the COVID-19 outbreak (further details to be published on this page when it is updated in the next few days):
- All properties are cleaned and sanitised to the Covid-19 Ready Guidelines endorsed by PASC UK, the AA and Visit England. We have produced a Risk Assessment that covers all aspects of our business and this is supported by a raft of supporting changes including new processes and staff training.
- Minute attention to detail in respect of personal hygiene (significantly reducing the chances of cross-contamination).
- Empty-days are being kept clear between new bookings in each property for the added protection of staff & guests.
- All other hard surfaces (including toilets, showers, basins, tiled floors, bedside drawers, banisters, door handles, keys, leather sofas etc.) are also cleaned with anti-virucidal products.
- All plates and cutlery are now being rewashed in a dishwasher come what may.
- As a temporary measure we will not provide any "Welcome" food or drink items or put anything in the fridge (so no milk, bread, cheese etc.) to reduce the chances of contamination.
- For multi-week stays we will provide fresh towels and bed linen at the end of each completed week but we will not come into the properties to make beds during your stay - please place used linen in the laundry sacks provided.
- We are managing our availability in order to ensure that we have the time required to fully implement our additional procedures. [To help us implement our intensive cleaning regime and "social distancing" we ask that you strictly observe the published "arrival after" and "departure before" times and ensure that any grocery deliveries are booked at least one hour after the published arrival time (or that you choose "click & collect")].
- Notes for keeping yourself & others safe:
- Choose to limit travel to your own car and avoid public transport (which will also facilitate a “safe” and swift return home should one of your party develop symptoms whilst away). Wear face masks when in public.
- All the supermarkets in Kendal offer “Pay at Pump” (but ensure that you use gloves).
- There is no need to go to the Supermarket – Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's will all deliver to The Hyning Estate. You may prefer to "Click & Collect" if you can't obtain a suitable delivery slot. Note that unlike the nationals, Booths operate a very friendly next day "Click & Collect" service for essential items (Milnthorpe is a good out of town option).
- Each property is self-contained.
- Each property has its own MVHR system (Mechanical Ventilation & Heat Recovery) which means that the air in the property is being continually replaced with fresh air. Air is never recirculated and the input and output filters are independent so there can be no cross-contamination.
- With two large National Parks, Hadrian’s Wall and the Arnside and Silverdale ANOB to explore, you should be able to keep a safe distance from other people whilst enjoying the Natural Beauty of the countryside but please enforce the 2 metre rule whilst also trying to avoid busy areas and check for local restrictions and procedures in place for cafes, pubs, restaurants, gyms and other attractions.
- You must act responsibly to minimise passing on the virus to others, particularly if you have been in contact with someone who has since diagnosed with the virus or if you’ve travelled back from an area of high infection in which case the Government is telling you to stay at home. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance
Should you be concerned that you have been exposed to someone with the virus or worried that you may have developed symptoms then please let us know before leaving home and if you develop symptoms whilst you are here then tell us as soon as possible. The NHS has designed this poster to help you.
The Government has asked that we adopt “social distancing” to stay safe and keep others safe. We look forward to welcoming everyone personally again at some point in the future but in the short term Reception will be closed (so no Printer, DVDs, Books, Maps etc) and we will leave your keys in the property and email you our updated Welcome Guide and details of our new mobile App which gives you access to a wealth of information including Welcome Videos. Be reassured that we will also be on-hand to answer questions or to address any issues you may have. Pre-authorisations for "The Good Housekeeping Bond" are now performed online rather than face to face.
People should not go on holiday in England with people outside their household (including bubble) in a group larger than 6 people